Tuesday, August 25, 2009
Life has been pretty hectic around here lately. We are coming to the end of summer and Liam’s anxiety is beginning to intensify. The crying or screaming of other children in his day camps is extremely unsettling to him. Sometimes, he can handle himself but other times, he can get aggressive with other children. As a parent, I get beside myself thinking about another child being hurt by Liam. I know my child has yet to control his emotions so that he isn’t hurting others. Certain stimuli, whether auditory or visual, combined with an already bad day, can lead to him going over the edge, so to speak. It’s weird—sometimes you see it coming a mile away, like when he’s watched something that’s bugged him or when another child is wailing but there are times where you don’t see the signs. This morning, for instance, he was having a great time drawing at the dining room table when he suddenly starts screaming about having a classmate over to the house (this invitation, I’ve come to realize is for the sole purpose of hitting someone he knows screams at school). Something went through his mind that bothered him so much that he needed someone to take it out on. I think his thoughts this morning were about going back to school. While he wants to go back, the thought of that kind of change in his life is probably overwhelming to him. A calendar in his room and my day-timer definitely calm him down. When Liam can see what his days will be like for the month, he feels more in control. Boy, can I ever relate!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment