Sunday, July 5, 2009

Day 2

My day today was a hectic one. My son Liam usually comes into our room to get me at 5:00am but this morning he gave me an extra hour and got me up at 6:00am. Funny though, I still feel as tired as I usually do at the end of the day. It is currently 6:30pm, we've just finished supper and Liam is getting out of the bath about to have his nightly snack. This routine is extremely important to him and to me as well because it signals a settling down time for us both. Right n0w I am lying in my bed writing this blog and pretty soon Liam will be joining me for some cuddle time and Treehouse tv. I look forward to this time with him every day because I love to lie beside him and snuggle up. He's usually pretty excited when he first climbs in with me and really only settles down when he's ready to pass out. I find it strange that although he messes up the blankets by kicking and squirming, this is by far the most relaxing time of my day. There is that unmistakable nightly feeling of relief knowing that he will stay settled there beside me and I won't have to worry about doing anything but lying in bed and watch a little Treehouse.


Today, my husband and I dropped my older son Jacob off at his Bible camp for the week and drove home for a spaghetti supper I'd prepared this morning. I will miss my eleven year old son for a variety of reasons - he's wonderfully loving, a big help with Liam and loves to spend time with us at night after Liam goes down to bed. I tell you, I'm down for the count by 8:30 or 9:00pm most nights but I know my husband really enjoys his company at night and will miss this nightly companionship. I have to admit that I feel like a wrung-out rag by the time Liam goes to bed and don't have much left for my older son by this point. I find myself feeling guilty about this and try to make it up to him in other ways. For instance, there is an X-Box game, some arcade game about fish, that Jake downloaded a few days ago and I've been enjoying the occasional games he and I have been able to play together. This morning, after he got up, I went downstairs to play with him for a bit. Liam was able to come down with us and watch us for a while. My husband was still asleep and I've become increasingly fearful of leaving Liam alone upstairs because he has taken to leaving the house without telling anyone. This is something we worried about when he was 2, 3 and 4 years of age but have not had any problems with this kind of thing for the past five years. You see, Liam has not really enjoyed time outside because it usually requires some kind of physical activity, something my little one tries to avoid at all costs.


Right now, he is standing beside me obessing over going to Disney World next May. He wants me to say that yes, we will be returning there next year even though we just returned from there in May. He tries to physically move my lips with his fingers but I nod my head from side to side, point to the bathroom and tell him to go brush his teeth. He can be extremely obsessive and can keep at me for several minutes on the thing he wants. This can be extremely exhausting. Well, Liam has climbed in and I will be ending my second journal day. I have to say that I was looking forward to writing this blog today and couldn't wait to lie down and pour out my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment