My life revolves around driving both my kids to their day camps, coming home and putting a few dishes in the dishwasher, then hitting the desk for an attempted four hours of uninterrupted paper work. When my husband and I decided to buy this business 12 years ago, I hated doing the books. I had never worked with numbers before and had no interest in doing so. But time (not to mention maturity) sometimes have a way of making what your doing fulfilling, especially when its your own business. It has only been the past six years (since Liam's diagnosis) that I've discovered that I actually need my job. It has given me something to do other than taking care of an autistic child. If a job can be thought of as an escape then that's how I feel. I am so embroiled in the life of my autistic child that I sometimes don't know where I end and where he begins. My job also gives me a feeling of pride that I've never experienced before. I actually believe myself to be good at it. If I were to analyze this further, I think I enjoy being in control at work, something I don't feel I have in my other life with Liam. Who knew work could be so therapeutic?
My summer with Liam so far? Well, he is busy most days during the week and when he comes home, he is tired and ready to settle down for the night at 7:30 or 8:00pm. He wants to eat constantly but his fits are certainly not what they used to be a few years back. The frequency, severity and length of the episodes have all decreased substantially, so much so that my eleven year old son Jacob can handle staying by him in his room when he's having a rough time. By the way, having an older child whose mature for his age can help a mother tremendously in taking the load off when hubby can't be around.
I just left for a minute to pour Liam's bath - it is 7:00pm and he will want his snack soon. He is sitting in the tub now talking to himself about one of his movies saying something about "purple hair". Lately, he's taken to putting mousse on his hair after his bath and using the blow dryer to spike it up. He's out of the tub now and I've just given him his Honey Nut Cheerios. I leave my blog feeling very blessed to have such a family and life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment